This gilded eagle tree toppers is handmade by American artist William Adair and was inspired by those made for display in the White House during the administration of President Ulysses S. Grant. In the winter of 1874, President and Mrs. Grant announced the engagement of their daughter Nellie to Algernon Charles Frederick Sartoris. Their plans for a stylish wedding included the redecoration of the East Room where the ceremony was held. Andrew Jackson’s three great chandeliers were replaced with even larger ones and pilasters and columns were made to embellish the walls. Proud bald eagles, the national emblem of the United States of America, were fashioned to stand at the center point of the capitols of the pilasters. The Grant's East Room decorations, referred to as the “Steamboat Palace” style, remained the East Room until 1902, when the simpler style we see today replaced them.
★ ★ ★